Friday, March 14, 2008

It's been a long hard winter.

In a not so distant past I was a poet. The other day I was reading an old book and happened upon a little ditty I wrote one spring tucked away as a bookmark. The poem reminded me that winter, although depressing and mind-bogglingly long might be necessary so that spring and summer are all the more lovely.....Hope you enjoy (and don't worry, I won't be posting poems often)


After Months Of Winter

We will undress and sleep
under white cotton sheets.

You like to use my blue linen shirt
for a pillow. I like open windows,
how the smell of lemon and sea mix
with your slow, timed breath.

When I wake up I will melt butter
for the artichokes in a teacup,
place your blood oranges in a bowl,
come back and graze your nose,
sip the salt off your shoulder.

No comments: