Saturday, May 18, 2013

Don't Hate Me Because I Could Theoretically Sleep

Sooo...a little secret I've been clinging to...I've been blessed with a baby who sleeps pretty much through the night.
Like almost every night.
Since she was two weeks old.

But don't worry jealousy mongers out there! I haven't gotten to enjoy it yet.

At first I never slept because I was nervous she wasn't breathing or she shouldn't be sleeping because what did I know?! Babies don't sleep! That's what I always heard.

Then I didn't sleep through the night because she wasn't gaining weight well and I would have to wake her up every 3-4 hours (i.e. 2 hours of sleep for me) so she could eat again.

Now that we are on a formula/breastmilk combo pack and she is gaining weight I don't really need to do that either.

I think. I still stay up and fret and stare.

Yesterday she was awake a lot during the day, ate like a pig, and passed out at 8:45. I diligently woke her up at midnight, she stretched for about 5 minutes, and then reluctantly drank a 1/2 oz, and passed out like a drunk.

She slept until about 4:30 and at that point I was luxuriating in the glory of 3 hours of sleep and didn't want to get up so I plugged in her pacifier, rocked her back and forth, turned on sleepy sheep (o! the wonders of sleepy sheep) and she slept for another hour until guilt rocketed me out of my slumber and I woke her up.

She is still up up up about 2 nights a week. But seriously. That's nothing.

My doctor said there is an unspoken rule that the more difficult the pregnancy the easier the baby. While nursing hasn't been easy, sleeping is usually not a problem.

Now I just need to get to a point to sit back and enjoy it with her.

Or I just put the goat mouth on it.


No comments: