Thursday, July 31, 2014

Things I'm Loving Right Now

There is a lot of positive change going on in my life right now (and when all the details get hammered out I'll let you know all about it) But even though it's positive it's still S-T-R-E-S-S. Without Facebook to dive into alongside my continuing commitment to not drink my stress away I've been relying on some old standards: books - movies - music- writing. Here are some of my favorites right now.

BOOKS

Have you heard of The Little Free Library movement? They are simply the cutest and most delightful ideas. My neighbors put one up that looks like a bird house and smells like cedar and introduced me to this little gem: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society. If you want a light-hearted but well written read this is your answer. I wish there were more coming but unfortunately the lady authoress who wrote it died before it was published. I would move to Guernsey in a heart beat if it was anything like this book.

Other books that I find similar in tone: The Weird Sisters and At Home in Mitford







MOVIES
On of the most captivating couples from the movie
My favorite blogger of all time, Joanna Goddard, recommended this movie (which is only available on HBO GO right now) 112 Weddings. 112 weddings is about a documentary filmmaker who made wedding videos on the side for 20 years then he goes back and interviews some of them about marriage. With all the interspersed old footage and new interviews he creates a very vivid portrait of how complicated marriages are; How complicated life can get; How we work through circumstances as a couple or not.

It made me cry.

Sometimes for happiness and other times because it seemed so sad. I'm not really sure at the end how I felt about it all. But I did know (well, have known for a long time) that I should have spent about 98% less time on the wedding and 150% more time on learning about strategies for a successful marriage. (Do those figures add up? Of course not! I'm a poetry major). Anyway. A thought provoking movie.



MUSIC

I'm in love with The World Cafe on NPR. Great interviews and shows.


WRITING

I've been trying to go at least once a week (which is all the time I can find these days) to go write somewhere outside my house without a computer. I love going to Church Street Coffee and Books. It is a wonderful place that isn't too pretentious in any direction. Just a solid shop with a great-because-its-limited book selection and good coffee. They have an upstairs space with a bean bag chair and a lamp on a floor that could use errrr something (a carpet? FLOR tiles? a good scrub?) but it adds to the genuine charm.

No comments: